Monday, September 11, 2006

Nine 11


Photo: WTC Outline Project

There really isn't too much that I can say that hasn't already been said. I see the images playing over and over again on TV, but I don't to pretend to understand the despair that certain people must be feeling to this day.

It's a sad sad thought... that so many people perished so horrifically. When really, if we all just utilized our innate capacity to love thy neighbor, the world would really be a better place. I know, it sounds too easy. Impossible even. But it's a start.

God bless the souls that passed on that day. Not one more than any other. From the firemen to the maintenance men; from the father of eight children to Father Mychal Judge (the first recorded casualty of 9/11). I still can't think of him and not weep inside. They were all mothers, daughters, fathers, sons, brothers, sisters, etcetera - and each one of their lives had value.

And post script, God bless our armed forces (including those who have lost their lives) who are out there today as a result of nine eleven.

I must admit that I feel a bit guilty... because sometimes I forget. Yes, it affected my country, but it didn't hit me as hard as it may have to someone who saw it happen, or who lived down the street. I can live each day and not "consciously" think about nine eleven, even if I live each day in its shadow. Many people (mainly New Yorkers or those affected directly by the tragedy) can't go one hour without replaying that tragic day in their heads over and over. So, God bless them too. I pray that they eventually find peace of mind.

Seriously, without fancy metaphors and fancy words, let's all try and be better people. You'd be surprised at how a conscious outpouring of kindness can rub off on strangers who pass you on the street.

In all the countries I've visited, there is no place quite like America. It's a country second to none. I don't know enough about politics to insert a witty comment about the president or our government, but outside of all that hoopla, it's a great place to be - and I'm really proud of everything that this country stands for (even if I claim that I'm British half the time).

I think we all died a little that day.