Saturday, September 16, 2006

Banksy's Barely Legal

A couple weeks/months ago, I heard a small rumor that Banksy was to come to town (thanks to the bloggers over at Wooster). Since then, I've been patiently perusing art blog after art blog, hoping to be the first to learn of the location/time. Alas, his website finally released the location/time yesterday mornin.

I planned ahead and took the day off work. No joke guys. That's how much I love this man's work. I (and Andrew, whom I convinced to also take the day off work) had to have been one of the first ten people there. Stalker, I know.

Anyway, it was off theee hook. He had a lot of his famous stencils on display; and even had a room devoted to a slide show of his stealth-mode endeavors. All in all, it was a gallery of goodness that cannot be dismissed. Although, I do have to admit that seeing his work commercialized on a canvas isn't the same as passing it on a metropolitan street. It didn't make me stop and think - but it was still amazing.

It's a three day exhibit (there's still time!) in one of LA's ghettos. He doesn't provide an address, but with the aid of google maps (and me) you should have an easier time finding it than I had (three wrong turns).

Take the 10 and exit Santa Fe south. It's literally the next street over from the freeway. Actually, it's not even really a street - more like an alley. A shady alley. In the ghetto. You'll know you're in the right place when you hit the dead end.