Monday, August 29, 2005

I Didn't Wanna Have To

With a slue of worldly experiences, it’s quite peculiar that I still haven’t mastered the art of moving beyond my physical attachments.

I’ve been sitting here for minutes mentally debating on whether or not I was going to write about London ~ and how it’s been one year. Even now, as I start to write about my thoughts on the experience, I feel a bit guilty that I’m making you read about it all over again.

In typical Rowena fashion, I’d make a top 10 list of my favorite Euro-memories, accompanied by my top 10 favorite Euro-photos. But since my experience there was frickin lovely without say, I’m going to write about Will instead.

London was straddling a cold October night, and the three of us piled on layers of clothing and winter accessories to make the five minute walk to the children’s hospital behind our flat. We washed our hands, took a deep breath, and there he was ~ Will Shin ~ so tiny and half asleep. As small as he was, he intimidated me ~ so fragile, so untouchable. So I lightly brushed his face and arm, and even sang to him a bit. Yeah, I cried. How could I not? He was premature and fighting for his life. It was then I realized the strong soul in Will, because even though all he did was lie there in his bed, he had the power to make me forget that my heart had been shamed just days before.

The story has a happy ending. Will and company are moving to America on Wednesday. I owe this post to him because I just finished reading Phil’s (Sandy’s brother and Will’s dad) post about saying goodbye to London ~ and well, what can I say, it struck a cord.

The #1 thing I learned was… to take way too many pictures.


Photo: Norma, Helen, and I leaving Cambridge.