Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Updated 07/22/2007 7:36pm:
Here I am, eating my words. I took my four (slightly younger) cousins to go see Harry Potter (again) last night. I loved it twice as much as when I first saw it. When I went to see it opening night, I was so hyped up... but I actually had the opportunity to settle down a bit the second time around, and the experience was twice as brilliant. It's definitely my second favorite Harry Potter film (after The Goblet of Fire) - but I'm still sticking to my likes and dislikes below. And by the way, I bought the new book on opening day as well. I can't wait to start it!

Updated 07/18/2007 11:02PM:
In response to Kevin's recent blog entry: I thought that this movie was very good. Just because I didn't think it was the best of the five - does not take away from the fact that this installment was brilliant in its own right. While I concede that the darker tone and undertaking of the film was quite necessary and age appropriate with respect to the characters... I missed the perky magic tricks (Wingardium levi-oh-sa! Not levio-saw!) and fantasy-inspired scenery (Diagon Alley, for example). But I still loved it!

What I loved? 1. The storyline was brilliant. The actress who played Dolores Umbridge suited the part to a tee. From her mannerisms to her articulations, she truly made you hate her character (and the color pink). 2. The special effects have improved dramatically since the first movie. Rewind and watch the quidditch game in the Sorcerer's Stone, and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. 3. I especially loved the concept of the "Order of the Phoenix Headquarters" - especially since the exterior looked exactly like the flat I used to live in! So dope. 4. While I didn't like the vision they had for the location of the Ministry of Magic (the exterior was a bit dull), I've got to admit that their elevator was pretty damn rad. As was the courtroom and crystal ball storage room. 5. Harry Potter makes out with an Asian chick. But I've already mentioned that. Oh they'd have the cutest babies.

What I thought was just 'okay'? I suppose I wanted more time for the storyline to expand. For example, what cave did Luna Lovegood crawl out of? Her character (though charming) drew somewhat of a blank. Will she serve a bigger purpose in the last two books? I'll have to wait and see (I just started the Half Blood Prince). I also wanted more time to learn the purpose served by Bellatrix Lestrange - other than to kill Sirius Black. Which, by the way, they needed to give Harry (and myself) more time to grieve over his death! I think they got a bit carried away with introducing a multitude of characters (like the "gang" from the Order of the Phoenix), and didn't give us/me time to understand wtf was going on. I also would have liked more time to understand what purpose Voldemort had in obtaining Harry's crystal ball prophecy. Maybe I'm missing something? Anyway, if they were to extend the run-time, I seriously would not mind sitting in there for 4-5 hours watching it all over again (with added scenes).

Original Post 07/11/07 7:55PM:
It was good - but it wasn't as good as the first four. I can't exactly pin-point what it was missing - but it definitely did not have that Harry Potter quality about it. There was no "attention to detail" (so to speak) when it came to the fun/magical elements that made its predecessors so enchanting. They tried too hard to mature the plot, scenery, and Harry himself! Harry Potter isn't supposed to make out with girls! But since he did, at least she was Asian. So, final verdict? Good overall (and worth seeing on opening night), but my least favorite of the bunch. Cross your fingers for a mind-blowing 6th installment.