Friday, May 19, 2006

Junior Achievement

One of the many benefits to working for a huge enterprise is the opportunity to partake in one of its many community outreach programs. In addition to being an active member of the mentoring program at SF, I’ve recently joined the ranks of Junior Achievement volunteers. I taught my very first JA class this morning and had A BLAST with the students.

I showed up for class equipped with Jolly Rancher lolly pops and company paraphernalia to bribe the kids into participating, but it wasn’t even needed! I had a class of extroverts who kept on referring to me as Ms. D! I had so much fun teaching the class about the nation’s economy, and making them repeat the term “sole proprietorship” approximately ten times in one hour.

Me: Does anyone know what optimistic means?
Student: It's the place where my mom gets her eyes checked.
Me: [jaw drops]