Tuesday, September 27, 2005

LACMA

For months now, I've been itching to visit the King Tut exhibit at LACMA. After countless, "no thanks Rowena, not my thing," replies from friends I've invited to share this experience, I finally said 'screw it' and made the 1+ hour drive out to Wilshire yesterday morn'.

I paid $22 and wasn't very impressed. While the thought of "wow he held that staff" entertained me for a few seconds, I've seen Egyptian relics that have tickled my fancy on a much greater level. The exhibit itself wasn't very big. There were way too many people pushing, smacking their lips, and begging their children to 'please stop crying'! While the structure of the exhibit meant to force the flow of paying visitors through the rooms swiftly, I found the placement of certain artifacts to be quite haphazard. It was way too crowded.

I probably would have been more impressed had I not seen Mummy: The Inside Story just last year. Now THAT was a good exhibit. For £4 (??), I watched a 3D film, saw more than one royal coffin, and was able to view a plethora of Egyptian relics. Sure, viewing King Tut's bling was a cool and new experience, but overall, the exhibit was so-so.

I spent the next three hours walking around LACMA east, visiting permanent exhibits and other temporary ones like Japan goes to the World's Fairs (boooring) and Renzo Piano and Building Workshop: Selected Projects (super impressive! highly recommend. Ends in 5 days!). The European portraits, nostalgia! The Korean gallery, nostalgia!


Photo: Contemporary art gallery.


Photo: Freakin awesome 3D model.